A magnificent stately palace, the one situated in Tasso Square is characterized by a wonderful covered majolica-tiled courtyard.
In the high part of Tasso Square, behind the statue portraying the author of Jerusalem Delivered and almost at the entrance to Via Santa Maria della Pietà, we can admire the so-called Casa Grande of Family Correale (the same to which the founders of the homonymous Sorrento Museum belonged).
It is a stately palace built between the end of the Seventeenth century and the beginning of the Eighteenth, developing on three floors. It is characterized also by an elegant entrance portal which, because reflecting the taste of the eighteenth-century Neapolitan architecture, it is all worked in piperno except for its bases which are in hard stone.
The segmental arch of this portal is supported by piers which are concave in the point of the springer, and the overhang between the pier and the arch is supported by sculptured corbels. The joint between the balcony above and the portal itself is characterized by a big vaulted cartouche (which brings the following inscription: “Antonius Archidiaconus et Dominicus Correale Patrici sibi suisque A.D.1768”).
On the left- hand side of the portal, two openings with mouldings in piperno give access to the present shops. To them, as testified by the documentation as of 1777, the old shallows corresponded, which symmetrically occupied the right-hand side, too.
On the first floor of the building, a central balcony is joint to the portal: the brackets, supported by big cats, are in piperno, whilst the frames around the windows, in the past of a grey colour, are in white stucco.
On the third floor, five more balconies serve the second main floor: they have brackets and big cats in piperno and the windows simply have stucco frames.
At the entrance of the main gate, there is a courtyard covered with barrel vaults, with the painting of the family’s stem in the middle.
The front wall of the courtyard is a splendid majolica-tiled decoration as of the Eighteenth century, with a wide colour variety, becoming almost an ideal prolongation of the portal, following the sequence “portal-lobby-scenery” and with a very particular optical effect.
The majolica tiles represent, in perspective, a colonnade of Vanvitelli taste, landscape views, avenues, vases and personages taken from the patterns typical of the contemporary tapestry. In the background there is an exedra of columns with a niche in the middle.
The colours of copper green, of manganese dark violet and of yellow are the same as those of Neapolitan majolica.
This majolica panel dates back to 1772, but its bad conditions do not give any information about the author’s name; maybe it is to be attributed to the Neapolitan master tile maker Ignazio Chiaiese, who at that time made numerous majolica floors in the surroundings of Sorrento.
PROGRAMMA DI CONFERENZA A CURA DELL' ISTITUTO CULTURALE TORQUATO TASSO Continue
It will be inaugurated Saturday, November 7, at 18, at the museum Correale,... Continue
Roberto De Simone and Alessandra D'Antonio guests to "Sorrento ... Again"On... Continue
They started the restoration of two fountains located in the historical cen... Continue
Completed the restoration of the fountain called the Schizzariello. Another... Continue
A walk through Sorrento, with its sounds, colors, flavors and moods. Continue
The opening of the Gate of Parsano actually allowed the development of Sorr... Continue
Would you like to receive our exclusive special offers or to be updated regularly on news and events? Register for our free newsletter!SUBSCRIBE
Firmato - 25/02/2018
Le immagini raccontano il passato, il presente ed il futuro di questa bellissima ... Continue »
Parte il progetto “Sos: Sosteniamo l’Ospedale di Sorrento” che mira a recuperare le facciate del presidio ospedaliero di Sorrento ...Continue »